Re: [Phys-L] Private schools

On 7/10/2012 4:39 PM, Marty Weiss wrote:
You can preach that things might be different from our norms... just don't ask me to provide funds to do so.
I repeat -- it is not only *your* funds. It also their funds. And that is why treating education as a public good is problematic -- there will be always something someone doesn't like. Ideally just let people get vouchers and choose the education they want, rather than forcing your kind of education on them ... or theirs on you. Again, Look at Sweden or Belgium.

There is a big controversy brewing here in recent days... Abington Hospital which is a large hospital in the Philadelphia suburbs wants to partner with a smaller Catholic hospital, Holy Redeemer. The Catholics do not believe in abortion and they want Abington to abolish abortions in the larger hospital. The doctors and staff at Abington are angry! Patients want to go there for the best care and the many options open to them and not be coerced into accepting limited options because a smaller group objects. The hospital may reconsider but they are hedging. More to come... this just began.
So, what's the connection to our argument? If a group wants to teach and accepts certain values, that's protected... but if the same group then wants to extend their beliefs to the world at large, well, I object that I should accept that value system especially if my dollars are involved to fund that smaller group.

No one is saying that Holy redeemer can forbid abortions... just that why should they dictate their values to the rest of the people.??

They shouldn't. So I guess you propose to let Abington go bankrupt instead, right? Or do you expect a public money bailout for Abington instead? But wouldn't that now be *their* tax money funding something they find philosophically immoral and abhorrent?

Similarly, no one is saying that fundamentalists shouldn't preach that the earth is 6000 years old and dinosaurs were left behind at the Flood, but don't use my money to do so!
Again, not *your* money. Your money *and* their money, commingled.