From: "ron mcdermott" <rmcder@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Jul 10, 2012 4:59 pm
Subject: [Phys-L] Private schools
To: "Phys-L@phys-l.org" <Phys-L@phys-l.org>

You have 'X' dollars in monetary support for public schools. From this you
take 'Y' dollars for each of 'Z' students currently attending a private
school and hand that over to their parents. Public schools now have X-YZ
funds to use for programs. So, the relatively well-off and rich, whose
kids are already in private schools, make out really well, but the poor
defintiely take a hammering in that scenario. That's why I don't think you
can justify universal vouchers. There are numerous philosophical
objections, but the financial argument is, I believe, sufficient.

On another note, Bob, I genuinely doubt that the failure to adopt a
tiered-diploma approach was due to opposition by the evil "teachers
unions". The teachers, through their union, may, in fact, have believed
that such an approach was pointless (which is their right as individuals, I
believe, under the Constitution), but as a retired teacher, I can assure
you that almost no one cares what teachers think, say, or believe. And
they CERTAINLY get no 'vote' beyond that accorded to any other citizen (and
I suspect only a fraction actually had voting rights as a citizen of that
city). So without SIGNIFICANT opposition to the proposal from people who
actually mattered and had the clout to do something about it, any union
opposition would have been irrelevant. I also have to point out that
teachers' unions are restricted in what items they can even NEGOTIATE, let
alone hold veto power over, and the kind of diplomas given out isn't on the
list.