Re: [Phys-L] Private schools

On Jul 9, 2012, at 11:39 PM, LaMontagne, Bob wrote:

Again, I'll say what I said to Marty - Do you guys make this up as you go along?

The lottery is over the entire district. In Providence the ethnic makeup is essentially 25 percent each of white, Hispanic, black, and Asian. The school we partner with mirrors that mix - with a slight preponderance of blacks - probably because it is located next to what was a few years ago a predominantly black housing project. I would guess that there was a greater awareness of the existence of the school and hence a larger number of entries in the lottery. That housing project has recently transitioned to a Hispanic majority so I would expect that that in a few years that will be reflected in the lottery as well. Again, as I said to Marty, a student may be suspended from the school for behavior problems but not deported to another school - it may be a charter, but it is still part of the public school system.

So if they don't get "deported" to another school... where do they go?

Yes, charters are technically a pat of the same district, but they receive students who would otherwise go to their neighborhood school and if they get booted out of the charter they go back to their neighborhood school. We who teach or taught in the neighborhood schools know quite well who they are and who came back from the charter... the same thing applies to the parochial schools who under the current governor here in NJ... that bloated angry-bird who shouts at anyone who disturbs his ego... the parochial schools and private schools would receive their funding in the form of vouchers given to parents and the money is subtracted from the public funding... that is, if he bullies that proposal into law. The legislature here is a bunch of wimps who are cowed by this big mouth bully, so it has a good chance of becoming law.

You people who like this guy for a VP candidate had better listen to how he treats anyone who asks questions of him at town hall meetings. Such people are dumb asses, idiots, and stupid, according to this governor.

What evidence do you have that anyone "gamed" the lottery? That is quite a charge to make without some kind of evidence - even anecdotal.

Ever heard of nepotism? Cousins of school board members who miraculously got admitted.

Bob at PC

Bob, get your head out of the sand!