Re: [Phys-L] Private schools

So, will those elite schools admit anyone and KEEP them in spite of behavior or special needs? KEEP being the operative word here! They wouldn't be so elite any more so the upper crust would have to invent different levels of elitism to keep their children away from the riff-raff. Similar to what the bigots in the South did when they invented the "academies" to avoid desegregating the public schools back in the 50's and 60's!

On Jul 9, 2012, at 4:02 PM, LaMontagne, Bob wrote:

What a great idea! Then anyone who wished could attend the same elite private schools as the children of the country's leaders.

Bob at PC

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@mail.phys-l.org [mailto:phys-l-bounces@mail.phys-
l.org] On Behalf Of Hugh Haskell
Sent: Monday, July 09, 2012 3:10 PM
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] Private schools

At 10:04 AM -0700 7/9/12, John Denker wrote:

You don't need to be an MBA and/or a rocket scientist to see how this
plays out. The non-selective schools will go bankrupt.

Unless they can figure out a way to push to the head of the line at the public
trough, or even better, to shift the costs to the students. Enter the student
loan system, a la, the for profit universities. The student loans have been a
cash cow for the for-profit post-secondary community, and to milk it for all
it's worth, they have become almost totally non-selective, and they live on
federally-funded student loans.

I would guess it won't be long before they will figure out a way to move that
program into the high schools and perhaps even lower. Can you imagine a
16year-old HS dropout with a $20,000 student loan debt, underwritten by the
fed. gov't? I'm sure there are private-sector "educators" out there salivating
over the prospect.

Hugh

--
Hugh Haskell
mailto:hugh@ieer.org

I have been wondering for a long time why some of our own defense
officials do not put more emphasis on finding a good substitute for oil and
worry less about where more oil is to come from. Our people are ingenious.
New discoveries are all around us, and when we have to make them, we
nearly always do.

Eleanor Roosevelt
February 13, 1948