Re: [Phys-L] [SPAM] Re: Physics, Errors and Different Teaching Styles

On 06/29/2012 09:35 AM, Hugh Haskell wrote:

I wasn't talking about rotation *of* the earth, but rotation of the
earth *about* the sun, as I thought my wording should have made
obvious.

Wow, that was not obvious at all. The wording did not include the
word "sun". It did however mention the space station, which is in
orbit around the /earth/.

The earth is "on the end of a string" in its trip about the sun, and
I was assuming that the effect of that situation was negligible.

1) Tidal stress due to the sun's effect on the earth is directly
observable. Inferring the /quantitative/ stress from the height
of the ocean tides is tricky, but it's obvious that there's
something going on.

This is relevant to questions about "rotational" i.e. centrifugal
effects, as follows: Expand the sun's gravitational field in a
Taylor series. The orbital centrifugal effect cancels the first-
order term, leaving us to observe the second-order term, namely
the tidal stress.
http://www.av8n.com/physics/tides.htm#sec-Taylor-pot

2) The ECEF reference frame rotates once per /sidereal/ day.
A laser ring gyro is plenty good enough to see the difference
between a solar day and a sidereal day. This has real-world
practical significance for inertial navigation systems.

In principle you could observe the same thing using a Foucault
pendulum, but the average high school probably doesn't have the
resources to build a Foucault pendulum with that kind of accuracy.

Note ECEF == "earth-centered, earth-fixed"