Re: [Phys-L] [SPAM] proof that humans have not evolved

Interesting! I've been in similar situations. You bring up basic science
stuff, and you're looked at as some weird particle physicist!

The other day a young (4th grade?) girl came into my classroom from summer
camp. She was fascinated with science, and let me know she had the same
birthday as Einstein? Wow!

This fascination and curiosity continues through middle school, but then
something happens. Kids lose interest in science as grades become more
important. Science becomes more difficult and less "exploratory." High
schools are so curriculum driven, and then there's all the standardized
tests and AP Exams to get into college. This ruins the whole science
educational process for kids and their sense of wonder about how things
work. And unfortunately, I don't believe this will ever change...

And look a the "heroes" in society -- people kids look up to. Athletes and
musicians. Or what TV programs are on -- mostly sitcoms and dramas but not
much science.

Such a shame...

Phys-L@Phys-L.org writes:

I'm not trying to "take sides" on this issue, but let's face the facts:
the majority of people (at least in the US) are scientifically illiterate.

Have you ever seen the video/CD "Private Universe"? They interview a
major in some science field (astrophysics?) and he had no idea why there
are seasons. Another female with a like degree said she never had much
science and has gotten very far without it. She, also, did not know why
there were phases of the moon or seasons.

The other evening I was attempting to explain the full meaning of the
Greek word "metamorphosis" and I started out with .... "if you remember,
from your biology class...." and immediately you would have thought I
asked the people to disembowel themselves ... all I heard were loud sighs
and "I liked art not science" ..etc. I plant flowers (red zinnias) to
attract Black Swallowtail butterflies into my yard, then have fennel
plants for them to lay their eggs and the instars can safely live until
they enter their chrysalis ... basic back yard "science". But you would
think by the reaction of the ladies that I was talking subatomic particle
physics. Obviously these people did not have excellent experiences in
science...or they chose to ignore their opportunities to learn about the
world around them.

Holly