Re: [Phys-L] weightlessness

At 11:56 AM -0700 6/27/12, John Denker wrote:

In all cases, g is frame-dependent. This is required by Einstein's
principle of equivalence.

a) In the frame of the space station, g *is* zero.

b) In the frame of the earth, g in the vicinity of the space station
is on the order of 9.8 m/s/s.

Talking about "the" g field without specifying which frame is being
used is ill-posed.

Contradicting one ill-posed statement and replacing it with another is
not an improvement.
http://www.av8n.com/physics/weight.htm

OK, I'll give you that. This more or less answers my question, but in a way I neglected to anticipate. I am wondering if the orbital influence on the space station is detectable, or is it, like that on the earth pretty much negligible. From a pedagogical POV, I realize that I neglected to specify my frame of reference, and that was wrong, but I also think that it isn't all that terrible to assume that our "default" FOR is usually the earth, and assume that for most practical purposes we can also assume it to be inertial, granting the obvious exception when one deal with coriolis effects, which can sometimes be surprisingly noticeable, even aside from the weather.

Hugh
--
Hugh Haskell
mailto:hugh@ieer.org

I have been wondering for a long time why some of our own defense officials do not
put more emphasis on finding a good substitute for oil and worry less about where
more oil is to come from. Our people are ingenious. New discoveries are all around
us, and when we have to make them, we nearly always do.

Eleanor Roosevelt
February 13, 1948