From: John Denker <jsd@av8n.com>
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Sent: Monday, June 25, 2012 12:49 PM
Subject: [Phys-L] "New Millennium" Feynman Lectures

Probably most folks on these lists are already aware of this, but it
might be worth mentioning anyway:

Executive summary:
There is a "New Millennium" edition of _The Feynman Lectures on Physics_
... plus a fourth volume.

Perhaps the best summary of the situation can be found in Kip Thorne's
introduction to the "New Millennium" edition, which you can read here:
  http://www.basicfeynman.com/introduction.html
Additional information is here:
  http://www.feynmanlectures.info/

Hunting for errata has become something of a sport, and the latest
printings contain more than 1000 corrections.  The "official" list
of errata is available for free here:
  http://www.feynmanlectures.info/flp_errata.html

Only a handful of the corrections deal with physics concepts; the rest
are exceedingly minor typos.  IMHO if you already own older editions
it is not worth replacing them, and it's not worth penciling in more
than a handful of the corrections.  Open the errata-lists and search
for the word "wrong".  As for the typos, it suffices to be generally
aware that they exist.

The last time I checked, the paperback editions were more up-to-date,
containing more of the corrections.  That's because they were more
recently printed, in contrast to the hardback editions where were
apparently printed a while ago in huge numbers and will not be
reprinted until the stock is exhausted.

Also, the last time I checked, buying the three paperback volumes was
not cheaper than buying a boxed set of the three hardbound volumes ...
which actually makes some sense, given that it only costs a buck or
two to put hardcovers on a book.

  http://www.amazon.com/Feynman-Lectures-Physics-Vol-Millennium/dp/0465024939/

By way of contrast, note that the so-called "Definitive Edition" was
far from definitive.  It is older than the "New Millennium" edition
and in most ways less desirable.

Note that the process that produced the new editions also produced a
fourth volume, _Feynman's Tips on Physics_
  http://www.amazon.com/Feynmans-Tips-Physics-Problem-Solving-Supplement/dp/0805390634

The paperback version should be available circa January 2013:
  http://www.amazon.com/Feynmans-Tips-Physics-Reflections-Problem-Solving/dp/0465027970

This volume contains the three long-lost Feynman lectures on problem-
solving techniques, plus the Leighton/Vogt exercises ... many of which
are quite thought-provoking.