[Phys-L] America Could Have Dropped Big Oil Decades Ago -- What Happened?

Some subscribers to Phys-L might be interested in a recent AlterNet article "America Could Have Dropped Big Oil Decades Ago -- What Happened?" [Skirboll (2012)] at <http://bit.ly/NjtuDo> .

Skirboll wrote [bracketed by lines "SSSSSS. . . .; my insert at ". . . .[[insert]]. . . ."]:
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
This story is not new. Today, solar energy is picking up momentum. But despite the current numbers and the recent raves, the solar saga, and that of renewable energy as a whole, has been going on for decades. It is a history of false starts and stutter steps.

First, the good news. According to the Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA). . . . .[[<http://www.seia.org>]]. . . . ., 2011 showed record-breaking numbers for U.S. solar installations. The industry's best year ever saw demand rise by 109 percent over the previous year. With tremendous incentives and benefits for homeowners, and as prices continue to decline, the future looks bright for this alternative energy source.

However a quick glance to the past throws harsh light on the fact that we've been at this precipice before. In 1978, the White House Council on Environmental Quality issued this glowing statement: "Our conclusion is that with a strong national commitment to accelerated solar development and use, it should be possible to derive a quarter of U.S. energy from solar by the year 2000. For the year 2020 and beyond, it is now possible to speak hopefully, and unblushingly, of the United States becoming a solar society."

The key words here being "strong national commitment". . . . .[[a covert link is given to a news report of 2 May 1978 at <http://bit.ly/KPjzXB>]]. . . . because just as timber, coal, oil, gas, and nuclear received enormously strong federal support, solar needs the same kind of government backing, which as of yet, the sector has not seen. The statement should instead read, WE COULD BECOME A SOLAR SOCIETY, IF ONLY WE WANTED TO BECOME A SOLAR SOCIETY. . . . . . .[[EMPHASIS in the original]]. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Links to Articles: <http://bit.ly/a6M5y0>
Links to SDI Labs: <http://bit.ly/9nGd3M>
Blog: <http://bit.ly/9yGsXh>
Twitter <http://bit.ly/juvd52>