Re: [Phys-L] Nme of a surface integral

On 06/20/2012 08:00 PM, Aburr@aol.com wrote:

In elementary electrostatics what do you call the two following ys.
y = (surface Integral of )D . dS [1]
andy = (surface Integral of )E . dS [2]

They're both called flux. Reference: Feynman volume 2 chapter 4
("Electrostatics"), chapter 5 ("Application of Gauss' Law"),
chapter 18 ("The Maxwell Equations"), and elsewhere.

By the same token we also have magnetic flux, neutron flux, and
lots of other fluxes.

Also, again: In "elementary electrostatics" the D-field does not
appear. You can cover all the elementary stuff ... and even some
not-so-elementary stuff such as the Clausius-Mossotti equation, in
terms of E. Reference: volume 2 chapter 11 ("Inside Dielectrics").

If you ever need to distinguish [1] from [2], you should say "flux
of D" or "flux of E".

I am quite aware that in some of the older engineering literature
D is called "the" electric flux density (whereas E is not) ... but
that is a bad idea. Don't go there.

As I've said before: I reckon everybody on this list should reread
Feynman every few years. There's a lot of good physics in there.
Physics with style, with panache.