Re: [Phys-L] swimmingly successful teaching

On 6/20/2012 12:10 PM, Isaac Bickerstaff wrote:
In my town there are three swim schools. They cater to grade-
school children who have little or no experience in the water.

One school uses the "#1" method.
The parents aren't very happy about the low
completion rate, but that's not important. What's important
is to have high standards.

Across town there is another school. This is a much better
school. For one thing, all the teachers are certified as
being "Highly Qualified".
They use the "#2"
method, which involves a lot of peer instruction.

The remaining school is even better. All of their teachers are
certified as being "Master Teachers", and we know how important
certifications are.
At the end of the course, they administer a comprehensive test
consisting of 100 multiple-choice questions about swimming-
related terminology. On the basis of this test, they certify
the students as being "competent" at swimming. This school
gets the strongest community support, partly because of the
relatively high completion rate, and because of the test. It
is important to have /accountability/ and this kind of testing
is our only means of imposing accountability on the schools
and teachers.

Clearly, this disparity in swimming instruction illustrates the need for
a NATIONAL standard. Students everywhere need to enjoy the same proven
competency as those at the third school. Congress needs to pass a
national law--let's call it "No Child Lacking Buoyancy (NCLB)". Every
state needs to develop its own swimming test, and by 2014, every student
in the nation, including quadriplegics, must pass the swimming test and
be certified as competent swimmers in order to graduate.

Oh, sure, the Naval Academy may have some issues with students' lack of
competence in swimming in actual water, but if they need their incoming
cadets to have skills above and beyond the graduation requirement, they
are free to offer remedial swimming classes.

Thank you, Isaac, for bringing this matter to my attention. I will
lobby my congresscritters to make sure this issue gets the national
attention it deserves.

Best regards,
Kurt Mudgeon