[Phys-L] Interactive Engagement vs Explicit Direct Instruction

Some subscribers to Phys-L might be interested in a recent discussion-list post "Interactive Engagement vs Explicit Direct Instruction" [Hake (2012c)]. The abstract reads:

ABSTRACT: In my post "Google Donates One Million Dollars to Local Schools" [Hake (2012a)] at <http://bit.ly/KMcNNw>, I stated (paraphrasing): "The research reported in 'Interactive-engagement (IE) vs traditional (T) methods: A six-thousand-student survey of mechanics test data for introductory physics courses' [Hake (1998a)] at <http://bit.ly/9484DG> strongly suggests that the 'Explicit Direct Instruction' (EDI) doesn't work nearly as well as IE in promoting conceptual understanding and problem-solving ability."

In response Philip Freeman wrote (paraphrasing): "It's possible that there is a linguistic issue here. . . . what this group calls "EDI" includes use of many of the approaches that Physics Education Research endorses. . . . . in talking to those in different contexts it is important to be careful about assumptions that words mean the same thing they do to us."

I agree completely. In "Language Ambiguities in Education Research" [Hake (2008)] at <http://bit.ly/bHTebD> I wrote (paraphrasing): "Language ambiguities hinder development of education research and sometimes misrepresent its findings to both the education community and the general public. . . . . Such communication problems might be reduced if, quoting Klahr and Li (2005) at <http://bit.ly/apA7es>, 'those engaged in discussions about implications and applications of educational research focus on clearly defined instructional methods and procedures, rather than vague labels and outmoded -isms.' "

After considering operational definitions for "Interactive Engagement" (IE) and "Explicit Direct Instruction" (EDI), I stick by my statement "that the research reported in Hake (1998a) strongly suggests that EDI doesn't work nearly as well as IE in promoting conceptual understanding and problem-solving ability."

To access the complete 26 kB post please click on <http://bit.ly/LdSe1e>.

Links to Articles: <http://bit.ly/a6M5y0>
Links to SDI Labs: <http://bit.ly/9nGd3M>
Blog: <http://bit.ly/9yGsXh>
Twitter <http://bit.ly/juvd52>
GooglePlus: <http://bit.ly/KwZ6mE>

REFERENCES [All URL's shortened by <http://bit.ly/> and accessed on 19 June 2012.]
Hake, R.R. 2012a. "Google Donates One Million Dollars to Local Schools," online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at <http://bit.ly/KMcNNw>. Post of 17 Jun 2012 14:45:21-0700 to AERA-L and Net-Gold. The abstract and link to the complete post were transmitted to several discussion lists and are also on my blog "Hake'sEdStuff" at <http://bit.ly/KdQZZF> with a provision for comments. See also Hake (2012b).

Hake, R.R. 2012b. "Gates Foundation Dispenses 400 Million/Year to Education," online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at <http://bit.ly/Mmc1aB>. Post of 18 Jun 2012 10:33:07-0700 to AERA-L and Net-Gold. The abstract and link to the complete post were also transmitted to several discussion lists and are also on my blog "Hake'sEdStuff" at <http://bit.ly/NKPfwR> with a provision for comments.

Hake, R.R. 2012c. "Interactive Engagement vs Explicit Direct Instruction," online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at <http://bit.ly/LdSe1e>. Post of 19 Jun 2012 17:28:00-0700 to AERA-L and Net-Gold. The abstract and link to the complete post are being transmitted to several discussion lists and are also on my blog "Hake'sEdStuff" at <http://bit.ly/LCKIYL> .