Re: [Phys-L] Names

On 06/19/2012 12:49 PM, Aburr@aol.com wrote:
In the subject of elementary electrostatics, what names do you give to E
and D

E is the electric field ... also known as the E-field.
Similarly, B is the magnetic field ... aka the B-field.

In the /elementary/ course, I don't go anywhere near D or H.
That's because E and B are fundamental physical concepts (in
the static limit) ... whereas D and H depend on approximations
and assumptions about "continuous media", and don't even exist
in the general case.

In some non-elementary situations it is convenient to talk about
the H-field. For example, it is common to talk about magnetic
hysteresis in terms of the "B versus H" curve.

I suppose there must be analogous practical applications for the
D-field, although I can't think of any.

At the moment I know what to call D and H _because I just looked it up_
but I will have forgotten by tomorrow. Mostly I just call them the
D-field and the H-field ... although I usually don't talk about D
at all. I can't remember any situations where writing D was more
convenient than writing εE ... although I suppose such situations
must exist somewhere.

To save you the trouble of looking it up:
D is the "electric displacement"
H is the "magnetizing field"
although you can have a long and happy life (and a career in physics)
without needing to know either of those names. Don't ask me to explain
where either of those names came from; AFAICT they're not particularly
descriptive.