Re: [Phys-L] other problems with what is (or isn't) on the test

Yes, in NJ to be a HS teacher of Science or Math you need to have a degree in the subject first and then add-on the teaching courses.

Since I teach Physics and ODE, I get to see them all at my community college. It is amazing how much of a fight they put up -- "Why do we need to learn this if we'll never teach more than Calculus?" etc. Once I have them in class, I do my best to not only show them the course content but how it all fits together. Once they see all the interconnectedness of it, they appreciate it more; and anecdotally, they report doing much better at their 4-yr. schools and in the classrooms than their peers (the schools also report this to us). Also, given how much "rolls down hill", and how often it does it, I tell them they'll never know what they'll be teaching by the end of their career!

There's also a fair bit of research out there that shows that students in STEM classes that have teachers who have at least a Masters in the subject, or a related subject, do much better in college than comparable students who do not have such an instructor.

Peter Schoch