Re: [Phys-L] other problems with what is (or isn't) on the test

At 7:01 PM -0400 6/16/12, <cpreske@twcny.rr.com> wrote, in response to John Denker's comments:

I would like to thank the thirty teachers from across NYS who worked on the June 2012 Physics Regents over the last four years, those of you who wrote questions, those who edited them, those who constructed, reviewed and corrected the pretests and field tests and those who helped Bob and I finish all the work necessary to prepare the operational exam a fair and honest assessment for the students of NYS.
To all of those who have critisized their work, please forward your name, address and phone number so that whenever we have the ability to bring new teachers in to work on future exams I will be able to provide the Test Owner ( yes the one and only person at NYSED who works on the exam that is a State employee) a list of people who obviously have the expertise that we could use in the future.

To all the other teachers who appreciate the work of your fellow teachers who have given of their time and energy for your students, I thank you on their behalf. They do not do this work for the money but for the benefit of all our students.

If I have offended anyone, I am sorry but these people who work so hard do not deserve the critisism that is heap on them for their efforts. As I have said before there is no Albany there is onlly a group of teachers who work tirelessly for you and your students and their efforts should be commended.

I agree that the teachers who make up these tests are doing the best they can, and don't deserve the harsh criticism directed at them by John Denker. On the other hand I also agree with JD's conclusions about the tests. The problem is that "the best the test authors can do" isn't good enough.

As I learned over the years, making up good test questions is very difficult. I have created at least a thousand test and homework problems, most of which would not have passed Denker's mustert. On the other hand, the few that might have made that cut were seldom actually used, because I knew that the students couldn't answer them. It really does no good to use questions that the students will not be able to answer. It isn't good for their morale, not is it good for mine (they did poorly enough on the lower quality questions that I did use). All this at an elite school that presumably enrolled the best students in the state, and put them in a strong learning environment. The problem was that the students arrived in my classroom after ten or eleven years of seeing nothing but the regurgitative questions than Denker so decries. I tried to make some inroads in their thinking processes, but as pretty much a voice in the wilderness it was a nearly hopeless task, and one that I probably wasn't well-qualified to undertake anyway. I was fortunate in that I was teaching in a school where we had seven physics teachers, half or more of whom held physics PhDs, and many of our students came from families with at lest one and often two parents who were academically-oriented professionals, so we were able to discuss many of these issues amongst ourselves, and over the years we did come up with some ideas to improve the thinking processes, but as one can imagine, the push-back from students was fierce, and mostly, they (and their parents), in general had the ear of the administration, so we were mostly tilting windmills in our efforts.

But, in general, our school systems are not oriented toward teaching thinking skills, and those teachers who try are often strongly discouraged from continuing. As are several others on this list, I have also been a member of the AP physics listserve for more than 15 years. I have been impressed with the dedication of the teachers who participate on that list. They persevere in the face of daunting obstacles, not just from recalcitrant students but also from ignorant administrations and even more ignorant legislative bodies who think they know more about teaching than the teachers do.

That said, I also have some harsh words for the schools that purported to train them as physics teachers. The ignorance of some of the simplest principles of physics among many of the teachers on the list is astonishing, considering that they are supposed to be teaching the top students in their schools. Even more concerning to me is the apparent lack of the ability to think through a problem on their own. It does seem to me that any teacher who undertakes to teach an AP or IB or other elite course needs to be able to solve at least the overwhelming majority of the problems they either give themselves as homework or test (usually from a text or other pre-designed source), or see their students try to solve on externally designed tests (e.g., AP or Regents). Far too many of the queries that arise on the AP-Physics listserve are from teachers who are trying to solve some particular problems or improve their understanding of some basic principle. I admire their interest in improving their knowledge. They show their dedication and for that I applaud them. But most of the questions that are asked are at a level that the teachers should be at before they start teaching at the AP or IB level, and for that, we must fault the schools that prepared them.

Just as appalling as the nature of the questions raised, is the nature of the responses offered by many of the responding teachers. Far too often either a very specific "how to solve it" answer is given, or a particular formula is quoted as "being the solution."

Another area of concern to me is the number of threads that get started of some particular teaching approach, and the opinions expressed on the topic, which are often couched in algorithmic terms, which seem to be designed to give the students a series of "cookbook" solutions to problems that they can memorize and thus be able to solve whatever is thrown at them on the AP, IB or Regents exam they are facing. For example, a periodic debate arises on how to deal with centrifugal forces, and the opinion held are often quite vociferously promoted, especially the apparently widely taught myth that "there is no such thing as a centrifugal force." Many other questions end up being answered in terms of "canned" solutions, that, I guess, the teachers are supposed to learn and pass on to their students. This doesn't strike me as productive educational strategy. If the teachers are themselves required to figure out solutions for themselves, they will be better prepared to expect students to at least work toward that as a goal.

Having never worked at grading AP tests or any of the others, I don't know how much leeway is allowed students who stray from the "standard" solution to any given question, but apparently there is enough concern among the teachers that many of the threads generated on the AP-Physics list deal with what off-beat solutions might be expected, or do the teachers need to be sure that all students maintain an "approved" approach to problems that don't deviate from the commonly accepted approach.

In short, as much as I agree with the thrust of JD's comments (if not with the confrontational approach he takes), I think that we will not get better tests until we get better prepared students--who have been set on the road to thinking for themselves--and better-prepared teachers--how are ready to move students further along the road to independent thinking. Until that day, we are probably going to be stuck with students who have never been required to think for themselves and teachers who don't know how to teach students to think for themselves, and as a result we will have to live with the type of tests JD has well and truly excoriated.

Let me reiterate that I do not fault teachers for their lack of knowledge. Too many of them labor in isolation and really have no resources available to them to bring themselves up to the level they need to be. Their opportunities for professional development are often limited, and nearly always must be undertaken at their own expense. Only teacher's apparently are responsible for paying for their own professional development. In any case, I've certainly never heard of an administrator who had any problem getting the funds necessary to attend conferences or workshops--it usually comes from the teacher travel funds.

If we are going to fix these problems, it starts with the education schools and the agencies that fund our school systems, and we need to start making sure that are teachers are well-qualified professionals and that they get treated that way. Unfortunately that seems to be counter to the current political climate--on both sides of the aisle.

Hugh
--
Hugh Haskell
mailto:hugh@ieer.org

I have been wondering for a long time why some of our own defense officials do not
put more emphasis on finding a good substitute for oil and worry less about where
more oil is to come from. Our people are ingenious. New discoveries are all around
us, and when we have to make them, we nearly always do.

Eleanor Roosevelt
February 13, 1948