Re: [Phys-L] multitasking

I think I'll stick with Harvard and MIT research over anecdotes here,

"A recent Harvard Business Review post says that multitasking leads to as much as a 40% drop in productivity, increased stress, and a 10% drop in IQ (Bergman, 2010)."

"While many people say multitasking makes them more productive, research shows otherwise. Heavy multitaskers actually have more trouble focusing and shutting out irrelevant information, scientists say, and they experience more stress. And scientists are discovering that even after the multitasking ends, fractured thinking and lack of focus persist. In other words, this is also your brain off computers."

Of course, the complexity of the task matters too, "Another study conducted in 2001 by Joshua Rubinstein, Jeffrey Evans and David Meyer found that participants lost significant amounts of time as they switched between multiple tasks and lost even more time as the tasks became increasingly complex.2"

"As technology allows people to do more tasks at the same time, the myth that we can multitask has never been stronger. But researchers say it's still a myth - and they have the data to prove it."

"Miller, a Picower professor of neuroscience at MIT, says that for the most part, we simply can't focus on more than one thing at a time. "

"A study at Ohio State University found that it is merely a perception that multitasking generally helps us to get more work done. However, the researchers said that this perception is wrong and we are confusing emotions with actual fact."

"This research indicates that multitasking - both within-medium, as with the CNN study, and multimedia, as with the classroom Internet study - decreases our ability to process and retain information."

"So, not only does doing two things at once decrease your speed and accuracy, but it appears that one bottleneck may be responsible for this effect even if the tasks are different."

"Importantly, if we accept that attention works as a single spotlight we may also accept that the brain has evolved to pay attention to one thing at the time and therefore multi-tasking is not an ability that naturally fits our brain architecture"

The caveat here is that you can pay partial attention to multiple activities, but you cannot pay full attention to multiple activities. You either have to move your attention from one instrument to another wasting time and concentration in between or you have to pay partial attention to each thing. Neither of these is acceptable in a classroom. Why do we turn the car stereo down when we're looking for an address?

So, we CAN mulitask, but not efficiently and not with complex tasks or tasks that we need to pay close attention to or tasks that we need to recall in detail at a later time. So to get back to physics education, it is NOT a good idea for students to split their attention while doing their physics homework.

Mike

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Denker" <jsd@av8n.com>