Re: [Phys-L] problems with the physics regents

On 2012, Jun 14, , at 14:37, <cpreske@twcny.rr.com> wrote:

First of all if all the choices in #6 were converted to Meters; A student should be able to see that a 10mters or less is too small and antthing larger than a kilometer is too large.leaving only one choice.

In an other word this was a test of "handling" a badly posed question, not only physics?

For question 48 the question is the direction of the gravitational field not the magnetic of Earth
---- John Clement <clement@hal-pc.org> wrote:
I don't immediately know the length of a football field either, but I might
be able to make an educated guess. Is it a required topic in school??? If
not they should give the number. They need to be careful about cultural
things. I suspect every small town TX student knows the length of a
football field because football is very important to them. But now in many
places soccer has penetrated, and my son played lacrosse.

bc thinks only fair that "handling" badly posed questions should be equally distributed among test takers, then realized life is not fair -- from experience.