Re: [Phys-L] [SCAAPT] Fascinating article on why people don't accept (NOT "believe") Science

At 4:56 PM -0400 6/12/12, Ludwik Kowalski wrote:
Anticipating an objection I want emphasize that identifying one similarity is not the same thing as saying that mathematics is the same as theology.

One strong similarity between math and theology is that each is an abstract structure based upon fundamental assumptions which cannot be proven within the given structure.

One DIFFERENCE that that I see is that most professional mathematicians are quite able to accept conflicting postulates and to work within the structure that results. (e.g. Euclid's Fifth Postulate and it's variants.)

I'm not familiar with the Theological equivalent of this ability to grant equal validity to conflicting assumptions.

(But I am quite ready to be set straight is such Theologians exist.)