Re: [Phys-L] real-world physics

On 06/07/2012 08:33 AM, LaMontagne, Bob wrote:
If that episode of Mythbusters showed them performing that
calculation and then declaring that it was obviously theoretically
impossible - followed by moving on to the next myth - how long would
they be on the air?

Even more important, If the episode consisted of them showing the
calculation only and declaring impossibility - anyone watching the
episode would forget about it completely (probably before the end of
the show). By actually testing the myth, they have created an image
that is not easily forgotten. Even a group of physics teachers has
been talking about it for days.

This might be a lesson for us as teachers to bring into our work. An
artful derivation or proof might contain everything one would ever
need to know about a certain topic, but it will probably be forgotten
by students before the next class. An absurd visual image (and
hopefully the physics related to it) will be remembered and talked
about long after.