Re: [Phys-L] real-world physics

If one were an egg, a good egg, then so long as the matrix was a grassy surface,
any height would work to save the eggshell's integrity with fair probability.

Brian Whatcott

On 6/6/2012 10:54 AM, Robert Cohen wrote:
Would the following count as real world physics?

Suppose you had zero inches of bubble wrap. What is the highest height
you could fall from without getting seriously hurt?

Robert A. Cohen, Department of Physics, East Stroudsburg University
570.422.3428 rcohen@esu.edu http://www.esu.edu/~bbq

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@mail.phys-l.org
[mailto:phys-l-bounces@mail.phys-l.org] On Behalf Of Paul Nord
Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2012 11:24 AM
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] real-world physics

Bob,

You misunderstand my intention. I love Mythbusters. They're great.
And you are correct that they do a marvelous job of promoting science
and scientific inquiry.

I think that our freshman physics students can also have a great deal of
fun looking analytically at a problem like deceleration over a space of
4 inches and quickly estimate that this is a huge deceleration no matter
what the material does. The experimental approach of the Mythbusters is
great for TV. I can't imagine doing this experiment without first
making an analytical prediction.

I also wanted to share my warning that students don't find good sport in
questioning the Mythbusters.

Paul