Re: [Phys-L] Metacognition

On 05/21/2012 10:09 AM, Jeffrey Schnick wrote:
So the question is, is this an example of what metacognition is all about?

As for me, I completely agree that metacognition means "thinking about
thinking". See also
http://www.av8n.com/physics/thinking.htm

Also, if you can, please provide more explanation of metacognition as well as some examples.

1) One of the reasons the Feynman lectures are so highly regarded
is that many metacognition lessons are sprinkled throughout. For
example, in Volume I Chapter 22, he doesn't just assert that sine
and cosine exist; he shows how you could have figured out for
yourself, on a desert island, the salient properties of sine and
cosine and various other things. The chapter closes with the words:

When we began this chapter, armed only with the basic notion of
integers and counting, we had little idea of the power of the process
of abstraction and generalization. Using the set of algebraic `laws'
or properties of numbers, Eq.(22.1) and the definition of the inverse
operations (22.2), we have been able here, ourselves, to manufacture
not only numbers but useful things like tables of logarithms, powers
and trigonometric functions (for these are what the imaginary powers
of real numbers are), all merely by extracting ten successive square
roots of ten!

This is a direct, in-your-face discussion of two major components
of high-level cognition, namely generalization and abstraction.

2) I reckon that any discussion of "the scientific method" counts
as metacognition, insofar as thinking about science counts as
thinking about thinking.

I would be happier if the usual discussions of "the scientific
method" were not quite so ludicrously wrong
http://www.av8n.com/physics/scientific-methods.htm#sec-poster
but I suppose if you are going to have metacognition you must
allow for the possibility of wrong metacognition.

For a high-quality discussion of "What Is Science" including a plea
for common sense, we turn again to Feynman:
http://www.fotuva.org/feynman/what_is_science.html
also
http://ipv6.google.com/search?tbm=vid&q=feynman+%22character+of+physical+law%22

3) A great deal of the PER literature can be considered metacognition.

For example the book by Arons, _Teaching Introductory Physics_
book talks about lofty principles, such as the importance of
critical thinking, sensitivity to student misconceptions, and
the precedence of ideas over terminology.

Alas the book by-and-large fails to uphold those principles. An
example is its mishandling of the two-fluid theory of electrical
charge. Overall I consider the book to be a morass of wrong
physics and bad pedagogy. For details, see
http://www.av8n.com/physics/arons-1996.htm

4) More generally, a great deal of the psychology literature,
especially educational psychology, can be considered metacognition.
Alas, once again we find a lot of lousy metacognition. The
signal-to-noise ratio is very poor. Doing good experiments in
this area is very, very difficult ... but that is no excuse for
doing lousy experiments.

Occasionally however one finds some gems, such as the discussion
by William James (1899), especially the part about the role of
/connections/ in learning and recall.

William James,
Talks to Teachers On Psychology; and to Students on Some of Life’s Ideals (1899).
http://books.google.com/books?id=XYSsCLlF_mkCprintsec=frontcover
Chapter XII deals specifically with memory.
http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/j/james/william/talks/chapter12.html

5) There is quite a bit of good common-sense educational psychology
in
William K. Kershner
_The Flight Instructor's Manual_
http://www.amazon.com/Flight-Instructors-Manual-Fourth-Edition/dp/081380633X

although it is only a rather small part of the overall book, and
most people wouldn't want to wade through the whole book looking
for this one topic.

6) You can learn a lot by hanging out on Phys-L.

7) You can do even better by watching other teachers. Watch a
lot of different teachers. Sit in the back of the class and
watch. See what works, or not. See what suits your personal
style, or not.

Watching Feynman is a hoot, not just for what he says, but for
how he says it:
http://wn.com/Richard_Feynman_on_QED,_part_of_the_introduction
http://www.amazon.com/QED-Strange-Theory-Light-Matter/dp/0691024170

http://ipv6.google.com/search?tbm=vid&q=feynman+%22character+of+physical+law%22
http://www.amazon.com/The-Character-Physical-Modern-Library/dp/0679601279

For example, here is Feynman making a passing comment about
"the possibilities of reasoning, interconnecting one idea
with another"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_IfV9fkBhk&t=12m0s

Again, that is an example of rather direct, explicit metacognition.
Note that William James is not the only one to emphasize /connections/.