Re: [Phys-L] proportional reasoning, scaling laws, et cetera

I think we agree on making our questions as unambiguous as possible. Doubling mass or doubling speed - pretty clear because we are only changing a single parameter. Doubling momentum or doubling KE - ambiguous because they are compound quantities. Doubling how cold it is - ambiguous because it's just plain bad physics.

Bob at PC

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@mail.phys-l.org [mailto:phys-l-bounces@mail.phys-
l.org] On Behalf Of Anthony Lapinski
Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2012 8:56 AM
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] proportional reasoning, scaling laws, et cetera

You'd be surprised what kids think/assume. We want them to think like us,
but few do/can. Physics is challenging.

"The KE of a car doubles." Well, that could mean mass was added to the
trunk with the speed remaining constant.

So we as teachers need to make our questions as unambiguous as possible.
The language of physics is difficult enough (speed vs. velocity; energy vs.
momentum, temperature vs. heat, etc.).

Phys-L@Phys-L.org writes:
I can't imagine anyone (except for a few cranky professors) thinking
that the mass of the car has magically doubled. Most reasonable people
would realize that saying the "mass of the car doubled" is just a
shorthand for comparing two situations - one with a car of original
mass and one with a car of twice the mass - all other things being
equal. The part that is not real world is the assumption that the
coefficient of friction will remain the same - not the doubling of the car's
mass.

I find that these "what-if" questions using simple proportional
reasoning are great for probing if the students are really
understanding the material well enough to make predictions on their
own. If they cannot respond to a "What if I make ______ twice as big"
type question, it may be because they can't do proportional reasoning,
but it's more likely to be due to their not understanding the physics.

Bob at PC