Re: [Phys-L] proportional reasoning, scaling laws, et cetera

I've never had a student gush over the algebra that leads to delta X = Vo t + 1/2 a t^2

But I have seen many happy faces when we explain that the Vo t is a rectangle and the 1/2 a t^2 is a triangle, and the formula gives the area of the trapezoid on the V vs t graph. In fact, before we cover that, I show them the geometric meaning of (x+y)^2 = x^2 +2xy + y^2. This is always met with happy astonishment and annoyance that they were not shown this picture in algebra class.

My point is that the algebra and the geometry dance together. Gotta do both...

From: phys-l-bounces@mail.phys-l.org [phys-l-bounces@mail.phys-l.org] on behalf of Bill Nettles [bnettles@uu.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 6:24 PM
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] proportional reasoning, scaling laws, et cetera

I don't think we need two tracks. I think we need to take a "building the toolbox" approach. There are some essential tools that every carpenter needs: hammer, pencil, tape measure, saw. There are variations on those that make jobs faster and easier: nail gun, chalk line, table saw, miter saw, etc. He needs to know how and when to use each. There are many times when the simpler tool is better, and there is a vast difference in when to use a scroll saw and a table saw. But learning to use the hand tools will ultimately make for a better carpenter. Sure, part of the analogy doesn't work, but

If students don't understand the conceptual difference and relationships between position, velocity and acceleration in some fashion, throwing a formula OR a graph won't help. Now, should we teach the conceptual relationships with a graph or a formula? It's NOT an either or situation. I've had students who see the derivation of the x-x0 = v0t +1/2 a t^2 and gush about how NOW they understand it, but show them a graph and they're perplex; and there are students just the opposite who can manipulate graphs, find areas, etc, but don't realize they're simply don't "visual" equations, and need a shot of adrenaline if you give them a "formula." Different students have different "easy learning" modes. Both expressions (formulaic and graphical) can be powerful.

I think it's important for those continuing in science or engineering to have a big, well-built toolkit. Those that aren't continuing, well, what do we want them to have? Some additional reasoning skills and an appreciation for patterns in the world? How do scientists do science? Sometimes solutions are difficult? There's more than one way to find a solution? At the very least, they should know why we have seasons ;p