Re: [Phys-L] Conceptual Physics Course

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@mail.phys-l.org [mailto:phys-l-bounces@mail.phys-
l.org] On Behalf Of John Clement
Sent: Monday, May 14, 2012 10:00 AM
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] Conceptual Physics Course

.

If you really want to improve thinking skills you could get "Thinking
Science"
by Shayer, Adey, & Yates. Then follow some of the activities exactly
as they
are designed. They are not strictly physics, but cross scientific
boundaries.
You would not use them all, and they should only be used every 2 weeks
or
so.

It is interesting that you should mention these authors. I am reading a
book entitled Really Raising Standards by Adey and Shayer. The advice
that you give that one follow some of the activities "exactly as they
are designed" raises red flags for me. Is there evidence that tailoring
the activities to the audience and situation at hand renders the
activities less effective?