From: phys-l-bounces@www.phys-l.org [mailto:phys-l-
bounces@www.phys-l.org] On Behalf Of John Denker
Sent: Monday, April 30, 2012 3:05 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: [Phys-l] note-taking, or not
SNIP

In more detail: I think there are at least three categories:

1) For a few students, the process of taking notes in class really does help,
and they know it.

2) Many students have been browbeaten into believing that they "must"
take notes in class ... even though doing so is quite unhelpful to them.

3) Some students have figured out that in except in the most extraordinary
circumstances, there are textbooks and handouts etc. that make it
unnecessary to for most students to take notes in class, except for the
occasional comment or correction.

SNIP

There is an unimaginable amount of educational psychology literature on the
topic of note-taking. As usual, most of it is not worth reading.