Re: [Phys-l] Big article in the last two years comparing lecture and active engagement?

You are probably thinking of this:

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/332/6031/862.short
Science 13 May 2011:
Vol. 332 no. 6031 pp. 862-864
DOI: 10.1126/science.1201783

- Report

Improved Learning in a Large-Enrollment Physics Class

1. Louis Deslauriers<http://www.sciencemag.org/search?author1=Louis+Deslauriers&sortspec=date&submit=Submit>
1 <http://www.sciencemag.org/content/332/6031/862.short#aff-1>,2<http://www.sciencemag.org/content/332/6031/862.short#aff-2>,

2. Ellen Schelew<http://www.sciencemag.org/search?author1=Ellen+Schelew&sortspec=date&submit=Submit>
2 <http://www.sciencemag.org/content/332/6031/862.short#aff-2>, and
3. Carl Wieman<http://www.sciencemag.org/search?author1=Carl+Wieman&sortspec=date&submit=Submit>
* <http://www.sciencemag.org/content/332/6031/862.short#fn-1>†<http://www.sciencemag.org/content/332/6031/862.short#corresp-1>
‡ <http://www.sciencemag.org/content/332/6031/862.short#fn-2>

+ <http://www.sciencemag.org/content/332/6031/862.short#> Author
Affiliations

1. 1Carl Wieman Science Education Initiative, University of British
Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada.
2. 2Department of Physics and Astronomy, University of British Columbia,
Vancouver, BC, Canada.

1. †↵<http://www.sciencemag.org/content/332/6031/862.short#xref-corresp-1-1>To
whom correspondence should be addressed. E-mail: gilbertwieman@gmail.com

Abstract

We compared the amounts of learning achieved using two different
instructional approaches under controlled conditions. We measured the
learning of a specific set of topics and objectives when taught by 3 hours
of traditional lecture given by an experienced highly rated instructor and
3 hours of instruction given by a trained but inexperienced instructor
using instruction based on research in cognitive psychology and physics
education. The comparison was made between two large sections (*N* = 267
and *N* = 271) of an introductory undergraduate physics course. We found
increased student attendance, higher engagement, and more than twice the
learning in the section taught using research-based instruction.

Karim Diff