Re: [Phys-l] note-taking, or not

On Apr 30, 2012, at 4:04 PM, John Denker wrote:

So far as my own personal learning goes, I certainly find
it next to impossible to take notes and pay attention at
the same time.

OTOH there are a lot of students who insist that the
/process/ of taking notes in class helps them learn. I
am skeptical of this, and I certainly don't understand it
... but I am not quite ready to tell these students they
are wrong ... not all of them, anyway. It may be that
some of them are simply better than I am at taking notes,
so they can still pay attention while taking notes.

On the third hand, there are some ...

That topic certainly deserves to be discussed. Note taking was a necessity; textbooks did not exist in Poland (during the first decade after WWII, and even later).

Ludwik