Re: [Phys-l] Significant figures -- again

On 04/13/2012 01:29 PM, Robert Cohen wrote:
I don't have a problem with your main message. It just seems to me
that an example like Bob and Carol illustrates it better.

We agree, the matrix example is pretty convincing. I would
like it even better if it were accessible to high-school
students (and others) who have never heard of matrices.
I'm still looking for additional examples, and for ways of
simplifying the existing examples.

Or, even simpler...

I worked a year at company A, took some time off, then worked a year
at company B. How many days did I work at each company?

Is writing 400 days at each company any better or worse than writing
365.2425 days at each company?

That's an interesting and useful example, although it makes
a somewhat different point.

I would say it would be neither better nor worse without some way of
conveying the uncertainty.

We agree that finding a way to clearly express the uncertainty
would be a huge improvement.

As soon as there is a decent expression of the uncertainty, all
the problems with this example go away. It seems to me that
t = 1 year ± 10% [1a]
and
t = 365 days ± 10% [1b]

are both perfectly reasonable ... and both are preferable to
☠ X=400 ☠ [2a]
and
☠ X=365.2425 ☠ [2b]

As usual, I reckon it is a bad idea to spend time discussing
misconceptions in front of students. My advice is to show them
the right procedure (equation [1]) and not waste time fussing
with equation [2] or anything like that.

Note that the perfectly reasonable expression [1b] departs
strongly from the usual sig-figs rules. I suppose I could
round off from 365 to 360, but why would I want to? I can
write 365±10% just as easily as 360±10%.

In contrast, converting to 3.6e-2 would expend more work
to produce a less-accurate and less-convenient result.
This strikes me as insane.

===================

Furthermore, we should not let any of these examples distract
us. We need to see the whole forest, not just this-or-that
tree.

Keep in mind that the whole concept of sig figs has some serious
downsides. For one thing, it essentially forces students to
misunderstand the distinction between roundoff error and
uncertainty. This is a big deal, because in a well-designed
experiment, roundoff error is almost never the dominant
contribution to the overall uncertainty. Confusing the two
is wrong in principle, costly in practice, and foolish in
pedagogical terms.

An even larger point is that teaching sig figs is a grotesque
waste of time. Other methods must be learned. More-or-less
everybody concedes that other methods must be used (at least!)
most of the time, if you want anything resembling accurate
answers. Sure, there are isolated cases where you can get
away with sig figs, but why bother learning a technique that
only works in isolated, low-priority cases, when other techniques
are no worse and usually better? Surely class time is already
overcommitted. Surely it would be better to spend time on
things that have more upside and less downside.