Re: [Phys-l] Electron Transfer Demo

On 2012, Apr 13, , at 08:20, Paul Nord wrote:

I just tried it. The spark goes right through the flame as if it were a conductor. That is to say, it terminates in the flame and jumps out the other side.

Do we have a DCS number for the conductivity of plasmas?

Paul

The "fourth" state of matter is a conductor -- just like a metal, or more accurately a liquid w/ free ions (+ and -). If I'd used a fluid instead of liquid it would include the aforementioned plasma.

Terminate is oxymoronic WRT jumps out the other side. This perhaps answered my question of Jeff B. It's possible for the spark to go to the flame and appear to terminate there if its from the "above ground" terminal. The "sink" (quotes for JD's benefit) begins w/ the flame continues as invisible corona (try a dark room) and the meter stick, etc. ending at the earth terminal. A rather high EMF is necessary for this to happen.