Re: [Phys-l] Electron Transfer Demo

Does any of this relate to the discharging of a charged electroscope? For a demonstration I cut a typical plastic shopping bag at the seams, except for the bottom, mount it midway on a wooden dowel, spread it out on the lab table, rub it with fur, and then hold it up. The two halves of the bag act like the leaves in an electroscope, since they are charged with the same sign. If I light a match and hold it underneath the bag, the sides begin to fall, suggesting that the "leaves" are discharging, or being neutralized by gases from the match. I am not sure of what causes this. Any help?

-----Original Message-----
From: brian whatcott <betwys1@sbcglobal.net>
To: phys-l <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Sent: Fri, Apr 13, 2012 6:57 am
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Electron Transfer Demo

On 4/12/2012 10:53 PM, Jeff Bigler wrote:
I was demonstrating an induction coil in one of my physics classes
today. One of my students asked whether the arcing current could light
a match. I didn't know the answer, so i taped a match to a meter stick
and tried it. Nothing happened.

At that point, because I now had a match on the end of a meter stick, I
thought it might be fun to see whether the current affected the flame.
So I lit the match and held the flame (on the end of the meter stick)
near the arc. When I did this, the arc jumped into the flame.

In retrospect, this makes sense. I believe this must occur because the
flame is a redox (electron transfer) reaction, and the reaction
components were acting as a source and/or sink for the electrons arcing
between the electrodes of the induction coil.

I thought this was a physics/chemistry connection that was interesting
enough to be worth sharing.

ot sure an oxidation need take place in order that ionized gas be
vailable. Any
nergy import sufficient to ionize the material would provide the
onductive material to support that observation is my thought.
Brian W