Re: [Phys-l] Significant figures -- again

John Denker and I obviously come down on different sides of the question of whether or not there exists even a single problem which

1) has an answer that would and should be positively embarrassing to quote to 10 or more digits

AND

2) is NOT merely an "ivory-tower busywork assignment, where the answer will not be used for any practical purpose, but instead will simply be checked for compliance with artificial, nonsensical rules.

In support of my contention that there MOST certainly are, I would submit every worthy Fermi question ever asked.

John Mallinckrodt
Cal Poly Pomona

AFAICT only case where my counterargument doesn't apply is in connection with ivory-tower busywork assignments,