Re: [Phys-l] egg science

On 2012, Apr 09, , at 06:40, chuck britton wrote:

My suspicion is that the inverter-ovens have the identical magnetron
tubes but a more complicated source for the current and voltage
applied thereunto.

Driving the power transformer with a higher frequency allows a
significantly less massive core to provide the same power.

The only 'filter cap's' might be in the line cord connection module.
.

Since the magnetron requires an optimum EMF, filtering is necessary. i.e. a constant EMF, however, if the power is pulsed a filter cap would defeat the purpose -- smoothing the supply and defeating the constant value, reducing the efficiency of the magnetron. So the last "thing" before the magnetron is the square wave switch w/ variable duty (or mark space ratio). The switch must be "fast".

I now see two points here, mine and CB (BW) inverter. Evidently nothing to do w/ variable power, but the P/S, i.e. DC/DC HV P/S. Now common in plug-in P/S and UPSs. The step-up/down done by a ferrite toroid xformer. More efficient in-addition to low weight and cost.

bc thinks no longer egg science