Re: [Phys-l] Hewitt's three answers

On 2012, Mar 29, , at 21:49, Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

P.S.

Looking at the Figure 1 again I think that the amplitudes of fluctuations would be much smaller that 22%, if one was measuring temperatures, rather than light intensities. Yes I am thinking about the T^4 law. The tungsten spiral filament probably behaves nearly as if it were an ideal black body.

The challenge is how to measure the temperature without depending on radiation. What about plotting the R(t), where R is the resistance = v/i? The dependence of R on temperature is nearly linear, in a narrow range of T.

Ludwik

Looking at the Figure 1 again I think that the amplitudes of fluctuations would be much smaller that 22%,

According to Levi (Applied Optics) probably so. Here's the graph:

http://www.cleyet.org/Misc._Physics/Lamp%20flicker(D).tiff

bc thinks breaking the envelope and using micrometer calipers is the next step.