Re: [Phys-l] not a monopoly on the news

On 2012, Mar 26, , at 09:12, David Marx wrote:

On 26 Mar 2012 at 12:05, chuck britton wrote:

bc thinks JD was ink blotting and David fell for it.
Otherwise known as "Trolling"?

We all know John Denker from his usually valuable, thoughtful, and informed physics posts on this list.
He is not a troll. Trolls join lists just long enough to light a firestorm and leave shortly afterward.

I would have liked JD's post on this subject if he was less snarky and less obscure in his references.

David

By ink blot -- ambiguous so one must project to interpret -- I assumed he referred to both Ls and Rs.

bc

p.s. A longshoreman wrote a book discussing the proposition that communists and fascist were on the same coin -- Supposedly "liverals" are more open to alternative news sources, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Hoffer

"This definition of trolling, considerably narrower than the modern understanding of the term, was considered a positive contribution.[12][14] One of the most notorious AFU trollers, Snopes,[12] went on to create his eponymous urban folklore website."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

perhaps JD was trolling in this sense?