Re: [Phys-l] drop a metal cylinder through a solenoid

On 03/24/2012 12:19 PM, Carl Mungan wrote:
Suppose the metal bob is a cube of side d. Magnetic field is B. Bob
is initially raised up to 90 degrees, a distance of L above the
lowest point of its swing (ie. the arm length).

I would start by saying motional emf is v*B*d where v is speed of the
bob at any point. If the damping is small, v isn't much different
than regular pendulum, sqrt(2*g*L*cos(theta)) where theta is angle of
pendulum relative to vertical.

Now it gets trickier. That emf must correspond to some charge
separation between opposite edges of the bob (edges of area d2 that
are a distance d apart).

Agreed.

Perhaps I can model it as a parallel-plate capacitor.

Gack!

It might be easier to analyze things in the frame instantaneously
comoving with the bob. In this frame, there is an electric field
plus the (now irrelevant) magnetic field. We now have a dielectric
object in an applied electric field. Infinite dielectric constant.

This problem is doable analytically in selected geometries. It is
easy to do numerically in general. Relaxation methods work fine.

I'll also need the drift velocity to get the time during which the charges move.

That seems unnecessarily microscopic. I reckon the macroscopic
resistivity is all we need to know.

For simplicity, assume the RC time constant is tiny compared to the
timescale over which the bob speed changes. (This assumption can be
lifted if necessary.)

that will only get me power

To find the energy, integrate dt. Integrate over one cycle.
Divide by the stored energy to find 2π/Q.

1/Q is the fractional energy loss per radian. 2π/Q is the fractional
energy loss per cycle.