Re: [Phys-l] drop a metal cylinder through a solenoid

But nobody answered my question. FWIW, I guess that pendulum 2 will have the shorter period because there's less Al for the eddy currents to swirl around in, or to put it another way the Hall effect will limit the flow of free charges. In fact if it wasn't for the fact that the bob's velocity is variable (if instead it were to go all the way around by turning my apparatus horizontally), after an initial deceleration, the 2nd bob would move at constant speed ignoring axle friction & air drag (in contrast to the 1st bob which would magnetically slow to a stop). Right?

1. A cylindrical magnet is a pendulum bob on a toothpick arm swinging entirely between two parallel Al plates. The two flat faces of the magnet are its poles and they are parallel to the plates.

2. A cylindrical Al bob on the same arm swinging entirely within two poles of a large C-shaped magnet. For simplicity, assume the pivot of the toothpick is at the center of a pole face, so the bob always sees the same strength magnetic field as it swings. That strength is the same as that of the magnet bob in case 1. Size of bob and plates are about the same in both cases.

Which pendulum will have a shorter period and why? -Carl
--
Carl E Mungan, Assoc Prof of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
Naval Academy Stop 9c, 572C Holloway Rd, Annapolis MD 21402-1363