Re: [Phys-l] Significant figures -- again

If I understand John correctly, he isn't saying that uncertainty should
not be discussed. Rather, he is saying that such discussion should not
be relegated to a sig figs rule. He also isn't saying that we need to
replace sig figs with an advanced statistical analysis. A simple
discussion of uncertainty would do.

For example, I've given students problems like the following: what is
the mass of a cylinder of water, 5.0 cm in height and 1.0 cm^2 in area,
where the density of water is 1.0 g/cm^2.

Many students simply multiply the height and area to get the volume (5.0
cm^3) and then multiply by the density to get 5.0 g. I always have some
students, though, that first calculate the radius (using pi*r^2) to get
0.56419 cm, which they then round to 0.56 cm. They then plug that
number into pi*r^2*h to get a volume of 4.926017, which they then
multiply by 1 g/cm^2 to get a mass of 4.926017 g. Some will leave it
4.926017 g because they know I don't ask them to pay attention to sig
figs, while others will round to 4.9 g (according to sig fig rules).

These students have all learned the sig fig method in other classes.
The problem isn't with their knowledge of sig figs. It is a problem
with rounding intermediate steps and not realizing the impact of such
rounding on calculations. Whether they round the end result or not is a
secondary problem.

Robert A. Cohen, Department of Physics, East Stroudsburg University
570.422.3428 rcohen@esu.edu http://www.esu.edu/~bbq