Re: [Phys-l] Significant figures -- again

At last, we come to it...

JD said:

Surely there are already not enough hours in your day, and not
enough minutes in each hour of class. Surely the time spent
on sig figs could be better spent on something that actually
makes sense ... something that will not have to be unlearned
later.

Boy, do I agree with that. And I bet (hope?) that the chem teachers agree too. But they don't have the luxury of ignoring this topic as it appears on assorted end-of-year tests. So instead of starting the year with some cool bit of chemistry wizardry, they have to slog through this. But we don't, so I won't be bringing it up again :)