Re: [Phys-l] Significant figures -- again

Don't confuse counting with measuring.

There really are 144 sq inches in a square foot and twelve eggs in a dozen even tho they may be laid out as 6 x 2.
.
At 4:15 PM +0000 3/7/12, Philip Keller wrote:
> bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Richard L. Bowman
One should not apply it to intermediate results on the way to a final
answer. This is also true forr the more formal derivative method. One should
look at the whole procedure not just at parts of it.

Yes, I agree. But that is still strange! If every day, I throw some pennies in a jar, I can keep track of the current total by adding the new amount to the previous day's total. No one will suggest that to get the right answer I have to re-add the daily contributions. But if I have that 12000 lb bus and then over 50 days 50 passengers get on the bus, one each day, then at the end of each day I find that the weight has not changed (according to the rules of sig fig addition). But if I add up the passenger weights first and then add, I get the more reasonable result. So this time, I can't just add the mass of the new passenger to the previous running total.