Re: [Phys-l] astronomy

On 03/06/2012 04:01 AM, Anthony Lapinski wrote:
I'm teaching some "basic" ideas about binary stars to my astronomy
students (not much physics background). I found a table of visual binaries
and am looking for a list of spectroscopic binaries and eclipsing
binaries. Does anyone know of a good online source for this?

Try looking in the obvious place:
http://www.google.com/search?q=catalog+%22binary+stars%22
http://www.google.com/search?q=catalog+%22eclipsing+binary%22

That leads immediately to things like
http://www.chara.gsu.edu/~taylor/catalogpub/catalogpub.html
https://www.cfa.harvard.edu/~jdevor/Catalog.html

I'm also looking for a "basic" discussion about stellar evolution
(including white dwarfs, neutron stars, and black holes). I realize these
are complex,/advanced topics which are difficult to simplify for students.

What's wrong with
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellar_evolution

It's long, but not very deep and not mathematical. There is not a
single "=" sign on the whole page.