Re: [Phys-l] Flipping the Classroom vs Traditional Lecture

Sorry I sent this out with the wrong subject header!

In 1995 I wrote:
> When I started cooperative groups in my large introductory course.
> My student evaluation plummeted.  It took me years to get it right in a
> student-centered approach.
We called it a student-centred approach then not a flipped classroom.
> I kept working on getting it right because the
> students who used to be turned off in my introductory physics course were
> being turned on.  It was the traditional science students who objected and
> they learned just as well in either approach.
>
> I do expect is that my students come to class having read the material...
> they dont
>
> It took me a while to get this one right too.  Thanks to suggestions from
> my wife,  I adopted a "writing to learn" approach where the students have
> to write on the topics to be covered in class in advance of the class.
This is the keystone of my approach. I have students metacognitively deal with
the material in the textbook before coming to class. See
Enhancing Students' Understanding Of Concepts By Getting Students to
Approach Text in The Manner of a Hermeneutical Circle
Calvin S. Kalman (Published online 5 September 2010).
DOI: 10.1007/s11191-010-9298-z
Science & Education: 20(2), 159–172, 2011.
&
Students Perceptions of Reflective Writing as a Tool for Exploring an
Introductory Textbook.
Calvin S. Kalman, Mark Aulls, Shelley Rohar and John Godley
Journal of College Science Teaching March/April 2008 37(3),74-81

> The problem
>       As one of my colleagues (a former chair of math!) pointed out this
> morning many of us love to be the centre of attention.  It is very hard to
> let go and let the students have their say without rushing in to correct
> them.  Facilating discussion after group work is not simply making
> brilliant points for the students to respond to.  Then again groups  can't
> simply  be formed and set to task.  Students have to be groomed to work
> together and then  encouraged over and over.
>
> The students cannot work in groups.
>       Even with grooming some groups will be dysfunctional.  So you have
> to get feedback from the groups.  Then meet with the problem groups. Gee it
> was so easy to just dust off the old notes and glance at them before class.
>
> I agree.... I don't TEACH!!!!
>       Nowadays my students seem to think I do and are happy with the
> student-centred approach.  Keep experimenting until  you get the right
> approach.  Little things seem to matter.  In my advanced courses, I start
> group work right away, but in the intro couse, for my classes it seems to
> be inportant to wait two weeks until the course change period is over, the
> class has settled down and the class has adjusted to my style.
I should point out that results are best if you follow up by having students do
writing assignments outside of the classroom:
Enhancing conceptual change using argumentative essays
Calvin S. Kalman, Shelley Rohar and David Wells
Am. J. Phys 72, 715-717, 2004.

Best wishes

                    Calvin

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
_/  Dr. Calvin S. Kalman P. Phys.         Phone:  (514) 848-2424 xt 3284
_/  Professor,Department of Physics    Fax:      (514) 848-2828
_/  Principal, Science College
_/  Concordia University
_/  Montreal, QC  H4B 1R6          Calvin.Kalman@concordia.ca
_/
_/ Also Adjunct Professor Department of Educational
_/ and Counseling Psychology, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec
_/
_/
_/ homepage- http://physics.concordia.ca/faculty/ckalman.php
_/
_/ Editor-in-Chief book series Science & Engineering Education Sources
_/ http://www.infoagepub.com/series/Science-Engineering-Education-Sources
_/
_/              See
_/ Successful Science and Engineering Teaching in Colleges and Universities
_/                        at
_/ http://www.josseybass.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-1933371161.html
_/ See review found in the Journal of Chemical Education Oct. 2007:
_/ http://tinyurl.com/2rt7tj
_/
_/ For the research behind this book see:
_/ "Successful Science and Engineering Teaching: Theoretical and Learning
_/ Perspectives (Innovation and Change in Professional Education)"
_/                         at
_/  http://tinyurl.com/3qn237
_/