Re: [Phys-l] evanescent microwaves?

For salt blocks near you:
http://tsc.tractorsupply.com/search?zone=16&env=&w=salt+block
and stores
http://www.tractorsupply.com/StoreByStateView?storeId=10551&catalogId=10001

Dan M

On Feb 23, 2012, at 12:45 PM, brian whatcott wrote:

Building on Jeff's interesting input: 50 lb animal licks are to be had
in any country district
They come in 3 general varieties:
A salt block (white)
A mineralized salt block (brown)
A protein loaded mineral block (brown)

These are listed in ascending price starting around $6 or $7 in these parts.

Brian W

On 2/23/2012 10:55 AM, Jeffrey Schnick wrote:
We did this experiment as an undergraduate modern physics laboratory
exercise using a salt block in the early 80s at Oregon State. It is my
understanding that the apparatus was originally created as part of a
master's thesis project (from the appearance of the apparatus--many
years earlier). My recollection is that the block was in the shape of a
cube of edge length about 1 foot, cut along a plane containing two
opposite edges of the cube, thus creating two 45 degree prisms (that is
the cross section of each was a a right isosceles triangle). Given that
OSU has a huge agricultural program, I am assuming the cube was a
livestock salt block. Looks like slightly smaller blocks are inexpensive
and easy to obtain. See

<http://farm-and-pet.hardwarestore.com/110-609-salt-minerals/salt-block-512166.aspx> .
and perhaps a 50 lb brine block would do the trick (search on salt block
at amazon.com).