Re: [Phys-l] evanescent microwaves?

On 2012, Feb 23, , at 08:55, Jeffrey Schnick wrote:

We did this experiment as an undergraduate modern physics laboratory
exercise using a salt block in the early 80s at Oregon State. It is my
understanding that the apparatus was originally created as part of a
master's thesis project (from the appearance of the apparatus--many
years earlier). My recollection is that the block was in the shape of a
cube of edge length about 1 foot, cut along a plane containing two
opposite edges of the cube, thus creating two 45 degree prisms (that is
the cross section of each was a a right isosceles triangle). Given that
OSU has a huge agricultural program, I am assuming the cube was a
livestock salt block. Looks like slightly smaller blocks are inexpensive
and easy to obtain. See

http://farm-and-pet.hardwarestore.com/110-609-salt-minerals/salt-block-5
12166.aspx .
and perhaps a 50 lb brine block would do the trick (search on salt block
at amazon.com).

Cute!

This would easily afford using different Ns in FTIR.

Note: I now have created the link to FTIR in my site.

http://www.cleyet.org/

Here:

http://www.cleyet.org/Misc._Physics/Microwave-Optics/

I intend to add more pics, articles, demo. descriptions, etc. today.

bc doesn't know HTML, but knows how to copy and modify.

p.s. Interesting example of how granular reflection is a function of their (grains') relative size WRT the wavelength.