Re: [Phys-l] Physicist Steven Weinberg's Essay "AGAINST PHILOSOPHY'"

Sorry :
Richard wrote
[[did Kalman mean: (a) between the human
sciences (psychology, social sciences, and education) using the
Harvard serial comma as advised by the American Institute of Physics
Style Manual, (b) "between the human sciences (psychology, social
sciences) and education"; (c) "between the human sciences
(psychology, social sciences, and education) and natural science";
(d) some other; (e) none of the above. ??]]. . . .

My reply was hurried as I have a deadline to get a paper with nine other worldwide collaborators in for NARST by tomorrow's deadline and am trying to make corrections to a paper on a hermeneutic approach to friction with two South Korean collaborators and… IIn any case I didn't reread my email and should have filled in what Richard refers to as c) Gadamer felt that hemeneutics actually provided a demarcation between
(c) "between the human sciences
(psychology, social sciences, and education) and natural science";

My main point is that Science education certainly falls within the scope of hermeneutics.
For interested readers Richard points out that Martin Eger did also think that hermeneutics could play a role in Science itself.
Yes he did, but that is not something that i wish to pursue. Frankly if any of you wish to do that, it would be good for you to look into that wonderful philosopher of Science Mary Hesse. I will just quote briefly from my book ["Successful Science and Engineering Teaching: Theoretical and Learning Perspectives (Innovation and Change in Professional Education)" at http://tinyurl.com/3qn237 ]

Jürgen Habermas emphasized that the hermeneutic circle view, must involve critical judgment and reflection.
Mary Hesse accepts Jürgen Habermas proposition that science cannot be considered as neutral imquiry. But unlike Habermas, she feels that hermeneutics has a role to play in all the sciences:
It is convenient to take as starting - point a perceptive discussion by Jurgen Habermas of similarities and differences between empirical and hermeneutic method in his book published in English as Knowledge and Human Interests. I shall consider first a group of distinctions concerning traditional problems of the language and epistemology of science taken from his exposition of Wilhelm Dilthey. These are distinctions that I believe are made largely untenable by recent more accurate analyses of natural science. (Hesse, 1980, p. 169)

There follows a detailed description of five points . Mary Hesse’s feeling is that the distinctions that Habermas was making are based on the instrumentalist perspective promoted by the Vienna circle prior to World War 1:

What is immediately striking to readers versed in recent literature in philosophy of science is that almost every point made about the human sciences has recently been made about the natural sciences, and that the five points made about the natural sciences presupposes a traditional empiricist view of natural science that is almost universally discredited. In this traditional view it is assumed that the sole basis of scientific knowledge is the given in experience, that descriptions of this given are available in a theory- independent and stable language, whether of sense data or of common sense observations, that theories make no ontological claims about the rewal world except in so far as they are reducible to mere external correlations of observables. It is no novelty that all these empiricist theses have been subject to much philosophic controversy. It has been accepted since Kant that experience is partly constituted by theoretical categories, and more recently than Kant it has generally that these categories are not a priori, but are conjectured by creative imagination, having a mental source different from experiential stimuli. Moreover the work of Wittgenstein, Quine, Kuhn, Feyerabend and others has in various ways made it apparent that the descriptive language of observables is ‘theory-laden’, that is to say, in every empirical assertion that can be used as a starting-point of scientific investigation and theory, we employ concepts that interpret the data in terms of some general view of the world or other, and this is true however rooted in ‘ordinary language’ the concepts are. There are no stable observational descriptions, whether of sense data, or protocol sentences, in which the empirical reference of science can be directly captured.

It follows, so it is held, that the logic of science is necessarily circular: data are interpreted and sometimes corrected by coherence with theory, and, at least in less extreme versions of the account, theory is also somehow constrained by empirical data.. (Hesse, 1980, pp. 171, 172)

Hesse, M.: 1980. Revolutions & reconstructions in the philosophy of science Indiana University Press, Bloomington, IN, USA.

Best wishes
Calvin

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
_/ Dr.Calvin S. Kalman, P. Phys. Phone: (514) 848-2424 xt 3284
_/ Professor,Department of Physics Fax: (514) 848-2828
_/ Principal, Science College
_/ Concordia University
_/ Montreal, QC H4B 1R6 Calvin.Kalman@concordia.ca
_/
_/ Also Adjunct Professor Department of Educational
_/ and Counselling Psychology, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec
_/
_/
_/ homepage- http://physics.concordia.ca/faculty/ckalman.php
_/
_/ Editor-in-Chief book series Science & Engineering Education Sources
_/ http://www.infoagepub.com/series/Science-Engineering-Education-Sources
_/
_/ See
_/ Successful Science and Engineering Teaching in Colleges and Universities
_/ at
_/ http://www.josseybass.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-1933371161.html
_/ See review found in the Journal of Chemical Education Oct. 2007:
_/ http://tinyurl.com/2rt7tj
_/
_/ For the research behind this book see:
_/ "Successful Science and Engineering Teaching: Theoretical and Learning
_/ Perspectives (Innovation and Change in Professional Education)"
_/ at
_/ http://tinyurl.com/3qn237
_/