Re: [Phys-l] Physicist Steven Weinberg's Essay "AGAINST PHILOSOPHY" (was "References for Hermeneutics of Physics")

I am afraid that Richard Hake has no idea about hermeneutics. Although the subject originated in bible study, it has come a long way since then. The modern theory of hermeneutics developed by Gadamer (Gadamer H-G (1976[1966]) Philosophical hermeneutics. University of California Press, Berkeley, Gadamer H-G (1994) Truth and method. Continuum, New York) based upon notions put forth by his teacher Heidegger. Gadamer argued that it is through language that the world is opened up for us. Weinberg's point and Gale's and Wittgenstein's have nothing to do with science educational research. Indeed Gadamer would agree with them. He felt that hemeneutics actually provided a demarcation between the human sciences (psychology, social sciences and education). The physicist who wrote the most on Hermeneutics and science education is Martin Eger (deceased)
I reprinted one of his articles in my book

Successful Science and Engineering Teaching: Theoretical and Learning Perspectives” Calvin S. Kalman, published by Springer (2008).

All of his articles are reprinted in a book

Science, Understanding, and Justice: The Philosophical Essays of Martin Eger [Paperback]

Martin Eger (Author), Abner Shimony (Editor)
• Publisher: Open Court (September 15, 2006)
• ISBN-10: 0812694619
• ISBN-13: 978-0812694611

Eger argued that hermeneutics was an ideal tool in science education. Indeed I have made use of hermeneutics as particularly described in two articles;

The Need to Emphasize Epistemology in Teaching and Research
Calvin S. Kalman
Science & Education. 18, 325- 348, 2009.
Enhancing Students' Understanding Of Concepts By Getting Students to
Approach Text in The Manner of a Hermeneutical Circle
Calvin S. Kalman (Published online 5 September 2010).
DOI: 10.1007/s11191-010-9298-z
Science & Education: 20(2), 159–172, 2011.

Best wishes
Calvin

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
_/ Dr.Calvin S. Kalman, P. Phys. Phone: (514) 848-2424 xt 3284
_/ Professor,Department of Physics Fax: (514) 848-2828
_/ Principal, Science College
_/ Concordia University
_/ Montreal, QC H4B 1R6 Calvin.Kalman@concordia.ca
_/
_/ Also Adjunct Professor Department of Educational
_/ and Counselling Psychology, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec
_/
_/
_/ homepage- http://physics.concordia.ca/faculty/ckalman.php
_/
_/ Editor-in-Chief book series Science & Engineering Education Sources
_/ http://www.infoagepub.com/series/Science-Engineering-Education-Sources
_/
_/ See
_/ Successful Science and Engineering Teaching in Colleges and Universities
_/ at
_/ http://www.josseybass.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-1933371161.html
_/ See review found in the Journal of Chemical Education Oct. 2007:
_/ http://tinyurl.com/2rt7tj
_/
_/ For the research behind this book see:
_/ "Successful Science and Engineering Teaching: Theoretical and Learning
_/ Perspectives (Innovation and Change in Professional Education)"
_/ at
_/ http://tinyurl.com/3qn237
_/