Re: [Phys-l] Climate skeptic convinced by data. Was: Re: Mike Mann _The hockey

Hugh,

What you have said about increased GDP using less energy is true for the US as a whole since the
mid-1980s. Through the development of new technologies and the export of a lot of our industries, we
have greatly reduced our energy usage, while GDP has continued to grow. This is reflected in the
parameter called energy intensity, defined as total energy/GDP. Our economy has changed a lot in the
past few decades. My primary point was that if one is to build a new infrastructure utilizing new energy
sources, one will have to have a supply of energy and a strong economy to do it. A weak economy
cannot obtain the necessary resources to undertake the effort. Therefore, present policies that
undermine the US' ability to obtain domestic and foreign energy resources prevent us from making the
desired change. It's nice to talk about "green jobs," but we've seen numerous examples of heavily
subsidized "green companies" go bankrupt in the past three years. Even established companies with
renewable energy divisions have been unable to fair well, even though there is a huge effort to expand
those energy sources. Granted wind power has been in exponential growth for several years with a
rate of growth of around 33 %, we've seen those companies struggle under the inability to obtain
capital.

David