Re: [Phys-l] Mike Mann _The hockey stick and the climate wars_

Well it does take time in the medical world to do confirmatory research, so
the quickly is a relative term subject to interpretation. So yes, it was
not a year or two. But the initial claims were, as I recall, fairly
outlandish, so anyone who used them to guide practice would not be
considered prudent. One balances risk and the risk of possibly fatal
diseases is much greater than the risk of Autism. I will admit that I
thought it was sooner than 6 years, although it was only 4 years for
negative research to come out. The only way it could have been faster would
be to have unpublished negative research in hand. The speed of confirmation
or negation is depending on the paradigms of the researchers. When
something is "outlandish", it can be negated quickly, but is only confirmed
slowly. My example here is the "bacteria cause ulcers" research. The
initial evidence was extremely persuasive, but it violated the paradigms
that physicians had at that time. So confirmation took a long time. The
old pre-antiseptic practicioners often never gave into the research so it
became standard after they retired or died.

Ok, fraudulent is certainly faulty, but faulty is not necessarily
fraudulent. Point taken. I do sometimes try to be cautious by using mealy
mouthed verbiage.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX