Re: [Phys-l] polar grid navigation - more gratuitous notes....

Ah! Ken Caviness offers a moderate note of reason, requesting an end to this long drawn out thread.
But is that the Phys-L way? No indeed!

It's interesting (to me) to mention that some current commercial/military aircraft types which fly the trans-polar routes have found unexpected visits with the polar singularity gremlins via their FMS (flight management System) displays. Even closer to home, some flight simulators provide instructors a north up map of flight tracks. Approaching the poles, they hold onto their spherical trig until the trig numerator of some calculation grows vanishingly small. It's a standard gotcha which quaternions and the system of nine trig equations used for coordinate transformation can easily avoid, but otherwise, it's problematical.
And seeing a great circle transform to a parabolic (??) track is disconcerting - but not so disconcerting as attempting to display north-up, a track starting at the pole (this is quite likely to display as an aircraft flying sidewards to the "West" for example!

Brian W