From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of chuck britton
Sent: Wednesday, 15 February 2012 10:11 AM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] polar grid navigation

Thanks for pointing this out, Mike.
.
At 9:58 AM -0500 2/15/12, Edmiston, Mike wrote:
So... after all the messages posted on this list-serv ridiculing the
news reports... it turns out the news reports were correct. If you use
the pseudo grid for Antarctica that navigators and scientists in
Antarctica are known to use (where grid north aligns with the prime
meridian), then Lake Vostok is indeed southeast of the south pole.
Actually I would call it "east southeast".

If you Google "Antarctica map" you can find quite a few jpg images of
maps of Antarctica. Many of them are gridded as Hugh Haskell
described. On these gridded maps Lake Vostok is indeed east southeast
of the south pole. The news folks didn't make those maps.
The scientists and navigators and geographers made those maps.

Here is one such map... http://geology.com/world/antarctica-map.jpg
and it shows Lake Vostok.

Michael D. Edmiston, PhD.