Re: [Phys-l] Is something wrong here?????

On 2012, Feb 14, , at 18:39, brian whatcott wrote:

On 2/14/2012 3:57 PM, Quist, Oren wrote:
My original question has been answered. Thank You. It just bugs me to see such blatant errors in public print that I could not let it lie (the mistake was also in the news release that one of the posts sent me to). Perhaps a majority of people have heard of the polar bear or similar jokes and they laugh at them. But no one it seems able to pick out real mistakes in the media. If it is in print, it must be true -- don't even think about it. And, this is an election year. God help us!

Oren
Hmmm...the public reports seem to be about as error-prone as the physics
teachers commenting on the reports, on this list, in fact? :-)

I finally read -- not only did I miss S. of the S. pole, but also read 80 miles deep.

bc suspects his joke of having incipient Alzheimer's is no longer a joke.

I would very much appreciate reports quoted, e.g. the URL for the bungled news report -- This especially applies to me**, as I might misread a "correct" news article. Did Oren misread.?

** IIRC, I always do.

Finally I will appreciate some one convincing me that one can only go N. from the S. pole. First I must be convinced the pole is a point -- not only must points be > than the Planck length, in this case it wobbles, so if one is moving away from the "point" the direction changes even tho one continues toward a fixed point, e.g. a hill.

The idea is great, but doesn't conform to "the fact on the ground".

BTW, writing S. of the South pole is a typo., not a blatant error. And the report I read didn't have that error.